With the nicer weather that has finally decided to show up, I think it’s high time to tell you about the spring and summer trends of 2018!
I am not here to give you a lesson on the world of fashion, far from that, but I would like to present an overview of the trends that you will see everywhere this summer and give you some ideas on how to simply tap into the “in” look without having to completely replace the entire contents of your wardrobe.
1. Jeans are still relevant
Good news! Even if romanticism settles into our dressings for the summer, jeans continue to be a go to. Indeed, denim, eternal symbol of relaxation is a place in noble materials and raw jeans become couture. The type of cut is where the change really works.
No need to swap the slim fit or straight cut jeans for flare (back to 70’s), but the short jeans (which reveal the ankles), vintage (80’s cut), embroidered (long live the DIY) or the boyfriend / girlfriend jeans (loose for a relaxed silhouette) will be on the list of dos.
In order to avoid changing everything; simply emphasize and accentuate your denim with accessories. Here are some ideas in pictures:
- Chrono One Silver-white + Steel Watch, Mont Royal Watches
- Venice blue slim boyfriend jeans, Zara
- Stan Smith Originals Sneakers, Adidas
- Fluid linen t-shirt, Petit Bateau
- Tote bag raffia & sequins, Vanessa Bruno
- Denim jacket, H&M
- Erika Classic sunglasses, Ray Ban
- Silver Bracelet Si Simple, Boutique Vestibule
- 22mm brown leather interchangeable strap, Mont Royal Watches
2. Ode to colors
Pink, the color of the season! Powdered, flashy, pastel, it will be worn in all its nuances. For those who are afraid to abuse it, we will start with small steps. Again, long live the accessories!
Red always. Red will be equally present. Whether sensual, bright, or poppy color, it will put punch into your look. At this point, we will opt for accessories that are easy to match this already very intense color to avoid the clash or pizza effect.
Pastel colors, for a light and ultra soft effect, will also be trending! Powder pink, baby blue, delicate yellow, pastel green, lilac … It’s up to you to choose your favorite “soft-hue” color to go with a denim combo or an almost all-white look to enhance it.
The ultraviolet. Yes, although it was chosen as the Pantone color of the year 2018, it is not the easiest shade of purple to wear. In this case, I would suggest playing around with small accessories such as belts, jewelry, and small leather items before tackling t-shirts or jackets for a total ultraviolet look (especially since next year it may be difficult to recycle, unless you are already a total fanatic).
- Classic Chic Watch Rose-Gold Black + Steel Mesh, Mont Royal Watches
- Short Renee off white, BCBGMaxazria
- Pink leather bag Priscillia, Rudsak
- Pumps with elastic straps, Zara
- Blayze Blouse, Aritzia
- Boho earrings, Happiness Boutique
- Joy rose gold bracelet, Happiness Boutique
- Pink gold sailor knot bracelet, Happiness boutique
- Vivy sunglasses, Jimmy Choo
- 20mm pink leather interchangeable strap, Mont Royal Watches
3. The bare shoulders
Easy to adopt, you can dare almost anything! Bodysuits, shirts, light dresses, t-shirts, see-through blouses, …all easy to match and be spoiled with choices, even to go to work!
- Classic Chic Silver + Steel Mesh Watch, Mont Royal Watches
- Off-the-shoulder top red, H&M
- Carter Street Kylie Carter Bag, Kate Spade
- Just goji shorts, Aritzia
- Ballerinas in red suede, H&M
- 20mm white leather interchangeable strap, Mont Royal Watches
4. Here are some other trends you will be sure to see this summer:
- Floral prints: We will see all the mixes! Open your eyes, it has already begun.
- The fringe: This look will be chic rather than “boho” for this year.
- Transparency: The look on the catwalk is “totally see-through”, but we are inspired by blouses that reveal opaque undergarments. Sensuality assured.
- The baskets: One of my favorite accessories this summer!
- The trench: A classic must-have in your wardrobe.
- The banana bag: Reminiscent of the 90s, it is making its come-back by becoming the “it-bag” of the season.
- Shorts: This summer, we reveal the legs in wide fitted style shorts. High-waisted models with a mid-thigh length makes way for a look that is very chic. The height of elegance!
- Ruffles: We shall continue to see them twirling around this summer.
- Chrono One All Black + Steel Watch, Mont Royal Watches
- Classic Chic Rose-Gold + Steel Mesh Watch, Mont Royal Watches
- Kioa cotton dress, French Connection
- Sequin top and fringes, Zara
- Lace top, Top Shop
- Straw basket, Kate Spade
- Trench Classic, ASOS
- Cahier banana bag, Prada
- Blouse Bonaventure, Aritzia
- Short belt-line, Mango
As we wait for the hot weather to arrive, do you already have ideas of the kind of accessories you would like to add to your style, as to not change your entire wardrobe?
Tip: My personal trick to follow fashion trends without breaking the bank and without necessarily having to renew every year, is to spoil myself with different accessories. They become the focus piece of our outfit, emphasizing it or putting the final touch on it. It’s a clever way to add a new touch to your look, while continuing to wear all of your favorite clothing items!